Essence of Burgundy & Provence - 7-NIGHT CRUISE
Day 1 :
EMBARKATION – CHALON-SUR-SAÔNE
Board your ship in preparation for your 7-night Essence of Provence & Burgundy cruise. (B,D)
Day 2 :
CHALON-SUR-SAÔNE - TOURNUS
Located in southern Burgundy at the heart of the Côte Chalonnaise wine region, Chalon-Sur-Saône whispers the secrets of its medieval past which you will discover on your historic city tour. Alternatively, choose an excursion in Beaune, a walled town nestled in the heart of Cote d’Or vineyards where you’ll stroll the cobblestone streets and take in such sights as the mosaic-tiled roof of the Hôtel-Dieu de Beaune, founded in the 15th century as a hospital for the less fortunate. Or, visit the storybook Château de Couches, a medieval fortress enveloped in idyllic hills and greenery that once served the Dukes of Burgundy. Later in the day, enjoy a scenic sailing to Tournus, or sample the region’s famous white Mâconnais wines. Alternatively, pedal from Chalon-Sur- Saône to Tournus on an exhilarating guided bike tour. (B,L,D)
Day 3 :
TOURNUS, FRANCE - MACON, FRANCE
Today you have a choice of a number of excursions as you explore the cities of Tournus and Macon. Let your knowledgeable guide lead you through Tournus and to its magnificent Benedictine Abbey of Saint Philibert. Or choose instead to visit the moated Château de Cormatin, which dates back to the early 17th century and features ornate apartments as well as a beautifully manicured garden. As an alternative, venture to the medieval village of Brancion with its preserved gateway, church and market hall. Return to the ship and enjoy a scenic cruise to Mâcon Or, instead, join a guided bike tour from Tournus to Mâcon or go wine tasting and meet the ship in Mâcon. (B,L,D)
Day 4 :
MACON, FRANCE - VILLEFRANCHE-SUR-SAÔNE - LYON
Join a guided tour through the “South Burgundy City” of Mâcon, learning about its local vineyards, museums, historical sites and perhaps its famous son, the poet and minister Alphonse de Lamartine. Or venture somewhat off the beaten path to Cluny, known for its large abbey, and the nearby castle Berze-le-Chatel, a well-preserved fortress perched on a rocky hill offering stunning views below. Alternately, you can enjoy a guided bike tour to Berze-le-Chatel. Should architecture or religion be one of your main interests, perhaps choose the excursion to the Royal Monastery of Brou, built in the 16th century and boasting a glorious white façade as well as a beautifully tiled roof. Return to the ship and head to the Sun Deck to enjoy a light lunch and the passing landscapes on the way to Villefranche-sur-Saône, later choosing between scenic cruising or a tasting of Beaujolais wines. In the evening, enjoy a cruise to the city of Lyon, illuminated against the night sky. (B,L,D)
Day 5 :
LYON - VIENNE
Discover dynamic Lyon, starting in Fourvière Hill, part of the city’s historic region that is now a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site and home to the 19th-century basilica Notre-Dame de Fourvière. Continue on to the old town of Lyon, followed by a guided walk through the St. Jean district, where you will be introduced to the city’s unique covered walkways, known as “traboules.” Or get active a guided bike tour through the city designed with cyclists in mind. If you’re a self-described foodie, our Lyon tasting tour is for you, during which you’ll have a chance to taste some of Lyon’s local delights. Later in the day, sail to Vienne, which boasts a Roman past that can be seen in its marvelously preserved ruins. There you can enjoy a guided walking tour around the city. For those wishing to be more active, you can either take a guided bike tour along a portion of the ViaRhôna bike route or a guided hike from the ship to the Monastery at Mount Pipet. (B,L,D)
Day 6 :
VIENNE - VALENCE
Take your coffee on your balcony or the Sun Deck as you cruise to Valence, a designated “City of Art and History,” where you can see such sites as its 11th-century Cathedral of St. Apollinaris or perhaps its House of Heads (named for the carved heads of its façade and courtyard) on your city tour. For a more active adventure, pedal through this bicycle-friendly city. If you prefer a more relaxing excursion, taste the Northern Rhône’s red Cornas wines. (B,L,D)
Day 7 :
AVIGNON - ARLES
Avignon, aptly named the “City of Popes,” was the center of the Catholic Church in the 14th century when its “Palais des Papes” was the equivalent of today’s Vatican. Discover the history of Avignon on a guided walking tour that includes the Papal Palace and the well-preserved medieval walls surrounding the historic center of town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Alternately, you can visit three venues around Avignon to taste regional specialties including macarons, cheese and wine, and tapenades. Later in the day, rejoin the ship in Arles, considered one of the most beautiful cities in France. Let your experienced guide lead you to the top sights, including the Romanesque cathedral and Roman amphitheater; or take a guided bike tour to the Roman ruins. If you wish to delve further into Van Gogh’s Arles, join a special walking tour along with a visit to the Vincent van Gogh Foundation, showcasing his legacy. Or take some time to focus on wellness with a guided bike tour through town. (B,L,D)
Day 8 :
ARLES – DISEMBARKATION
Bid farewell to Arles and prepare for your return flight home. (B)
(B - breakfast, L - lunch, D - dinner)
TOUR PRICES & DEPARTURE DATES:Click Here for BEST-BUY quote.
|EMBARK DATE||EMBARKATION CITY||DISEMBARKATION CITY||SHIP NAME||PRICES|
|EMBARK DATE||EMBARKATION CITY||DISEMBARKATION CITY||SHIP NAME||PRICES|
- Important: Dates, prices & itineraries are subject to change.
- Port Charges: $168 per person.
- Single Supplement for Cruise: 50% of twin price; AA+ & Suites 100% of twin price. Please see terms below for details.
- Bedding: Please select bedding configuration at the time of booking. Option A: Two twin beds Option B: One large bed (larger than queen size).
- To reserve a spot please click here and fill in the reservation form.
Terms & Conditions:
- All rates are per person for cruise only, based on double occupancy in an entry level category stateroom unless stated otherwise. Offer is valid on select sailings only and applicable to new bookings only. Unless explicitly stated that single supplement is waived, solo travelers in a double occupancy stateroom must pay an additional single supplement amount before receiving any discounts. Ask about Solo Traveler promotions. Offer is not combinable with any other promotions/discounts, limited to availability, capacity controlled and subject to change or termination without notice. Port charges, land programs and round-trip airfare. Other restrictions apply. Registration as a seller of travel does not constitute approval by the State of California.
- Click here to view: Deckplan of AMA-WATERWAYS River Cruise Ships
- The brand new fleet of AMA-WATERWAYS ships are setting new standards in European river cruising and offer a number of features not found on other European river cruise ships. Clients will enjoy the luxury of more space, 2 panorama lounges, Fitness Center, Massage and Beauty Salon. There are 25 bicycles on board for you to explore the small towns and to ride on the many bicycle paths along the various rivers. The ships operate for the English speaking market only.